Friday, October 28, 2011

Let's Talk About Sex















I have decided that on Fridays I am going to write about sex. If you want to read about some nook and crannie of the topic, this Granny will deliver. On Fridays.


The day I started my period was a really good day. I was playing at my best friend's house at the end of my eighth grade year when I first discovered Aunt Ruby had finally decided to pay me a visit. This late bloomer was thrilled for some trace of evidence that she would not be left in the bosom-less awkward dust for too much longer. After excitedly and nervously reporting to my bestie that "I started," I called my Mom, who squealed in delight on the other end of the phone and then came to retrieve me for our first shopping trip down the feminine hygiene aisle followed by a celebration dinner at my favorite restaurant.


Over the years, I realized that I am in the vast minority of girls who celebrated the onset of her period. In a culture where that event typically evokes shame, embarrassment, teasing and confusion; and in a world where a menstrual cycle symbolizes the end of childhood, the beginning of sexual exploitation, and the covering of one's face for countless girls, I can almost feel guilty as I think about my Mom's kind and hyper face peering over my basket of chicken fingers at Ruby Tuesdays, while we talked about my first period.

Instead, though, I resolve to create the same pride in my daughters' femininity that my Mom did for me. Beginning with an adherence to these guidelines (I encourage women of all ages to use them):


1. A girl's vagina is a vagina. It is not a hoo hoo or a ha-ha. Name it what you want but be sure the word vagina can be spoken with no shame and with accuracy. Even toddlers.

2. Menstrual Cycles are a mark of our unique-ness as women. They are a symbol of our ability to create and sustain life for another human being.

3. Do not hand children a book about puberty and then go mute. (Because that teaches them that the topic is bad and secretive and shameful to speak about.)

4. Become an expert on the workings of the Female Body.

5. If you have daughters, make it your job to ensure they are proud of their growing body.

6. How you reference and teach young children about their private parts matters. MATTERS A LOT.

Ok..I'm satisfied with this level of pot stirring.

For those of you curious, wanting or struggling with All Things the Female Body and Sexuality.... I highly recommend this book: Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom by Christiane Northrup, MD. Order it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Womens-Bodies-Wisdom-Revised-Emotional/dp/0553386735/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319814860&sr=1-1

Or, I can loan you my Mom for a day or so.

Cheers,
Granny

2 comments:

  1. yes! yes! yes! now please have a boy and give me some penis pointers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and tell me why three year olds {this is so too early...right? no?} can NOT keep their hands off them. EVER. in public. at home. help?

    ReplyDelete